Sunday, February 24, 2013

Potty Treats


With every c-section, I've learned something that helps things go more smoothly the next time with the recovery, etc.   I look forward to each step in the recovery process and getting the IV and catheter out is always so nice.

This is the story of my catheter...  The adult bladder can hold roughly 500 ml.  The day after the delivery, I told the nurse that even though I had a catheter in, I still felt like I REALLY had to go.  She checked things out and found a kink or some problem with the catheter draining.  She fixed the problem and out came 1000 ml--a fuller liter--twice the normal amount.  Not long after that, they took out my catheter.  Because my bladder was so distended from holding that liter, I could not go all afternoon.  I still had the IV in and was drinking, so we knew there was a lot of fluid stuck in me.  I felt like I was going to explode.  I told the nurse and asked her to take the IV out and just leave the IV access in (no need for IV fluids because I was holding food/water down just fine).   She suggested doing a straight cath but needed to confirm both were OK with the doctor.  I was so miserable by the time she came back to take out the IV fluids and put in a new catheter.  I literally felt like every cell was swollen with fluid.  My face and limbs were so tight and swollen.  I'd tried to pinch the IV but a little alarm went off.  Normally, having a catheter put in, especially when you aren't numb, isn't that appealing.  But I've never felt so much relief in my entire life!  Out came 1500 ml--1.5 times the amount of water in this mug and 3 times what your bladder is supposed to hold.  Apparently, once your bladder is that full you can't go because there is too much pressure.

They left the catheter in overnight to give my bladder a rest and allow it to return to normal.  Thankfully, no kinks this time.  When they took it out they told me to go often.  No problem!  Especially when I rewarded myself with a few mini eggs each time.  :) You are never too old for "potty treats".

Lesson learned.  If you feel like you gotta go...go!  Or tell someone even if you have a catheter in.  You really do have to be your own advocate and be insistent when there is a problem.  I'm glad my discomfort was easily solved.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad the mini eggs helped and that your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for mini eggs! So funny you needed potty treats too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Good for you for paying attention! And I love your potty treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think hospitals should make it a policy to have mini-eggs as potty treats! I'm sure it would solve problems for the nurses and the patients...

    ReplyDelete