Thursday, December 20, 2012

December 19th: Russian Christmas

 Today marks 12 years since I returned home from serving a mission in Russia.  Where does time go?! My time in Russia was a wonderful experience and I'm so grateful for it.  I spent one Christmas there and I'll never forget it.  I thought I'd be homesick but in fact felt the opposite.  I was so happy to be there and wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else.
This is my second companion, Irina who is from the Ukraine.  Despite my pretty basic Russian (I'd only been in the country 2 months), we instantly bonded and became the best of friends.  She and I were able to finish our missions together in the same city, where we'd first been companions.  The service project we did that year was definitely a highlight of my time in Russia.  


The service project was at home for children whose parents were alive but were alcoholics and could not care for them.  Parents could visit but they lived full-time and were cared for at the home.  I  felt for the first time the true meaning of giving.  These sweet kids were so grateful for the gifts we'd brought for them.  They were delightful and adorable.  Despite their less than ideal circumstances, they were happy.  That day was a huge realization for me that my life was one of ease and that I had much to give.

I got this darling advent frame on black friday.  I didn't end up getting it until mid-month and hadn't planned enough ahead of time to do the "25 days of service" this year.  But I plan/hope to in future years.  I love the excitement of Christmas traditions and gifts but I think the best way to honor Christ's birth and life is by doing meaningful service.

I would LOVE to know what your families do for service?  What has worked and been the most meaningful?  Please do share!

Today would be my sweet Grandmother Olive's 114th Birthday.  We got together at my mom's and my uncle shared some stories about her.  We ate her favorite treat, rice pudding.  She was a remarkable woman.  When she died she weighed only 80 lbs.  She was bedridden and her arthritis was so bad that sneezing could break another bone.  Yet she never complained.  My mom cared for her at home for as long as possible but when she needed more medical attention, grandma was moved to a rest home.  She called my cousin Jeanne and I "twins" and was always pleasant, cheerful, and so sweet when we'd visit.  Even though I was young, her happy demeanor left an impression on me.  My grandpa died when my mom was just 14 and my uncle was 10.  Despite only having an 8th grade education, grandma managed to provide a wonderful life for them.  Both my mom and uncle earned masters degrees and worked in education.  

Happy Birthday sweet grandma!

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a beautiful post on Grandma Olive, and I love that you ate rice pudding in her honor.

    ReplyDelete