Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thailand: Bangkok

I had a girls' trip scheduled for Thailand last year but we had to cancel it because of the protesting and political unrest.  I did not want to leave SE Asia without seeing Bangkok.
The Grand Palace is definitely worth a visit.

Wat Phra Kaew inside the palace.


The Grand Palace is huge and intricate but not too goody.  I normally don't like a lot of gold but the palace is so nicely done.  I thought the palace is fascinating and beautiful.  

 
The traffic is worse than everyone says!


Tuk-tuks make me happy.  I wonder if they are allowed here.

The taxis and buses were all so colorful.

Sweet little girl all tuckered out.  Hope no one took her toys while she slept. :)

Street vendors/food everywhere.  Some things look appetizing and

other stuff wasn't so appealing.

There are so many temples in Bangkok.  You'd need several days, with no kids in tow,  to see them all.
We went to Wat Pho and past a couple others.

Our favorite was Wat Saket
There are 318 steps to the top of the golden mount.  Samara had fun climbing the steps, which is probably why it was our favorite.

And with bells and gongs to play with along the way who wouldn't like it?!  This bell caught her by surprise.
 
Wat Arun

ABC Bicycle Tour:
I went on a bicycle tour one morning.  We rode through back streets and past businesses opening shop for the day.

We went through a make-shift neighborhood.

Offerings and a place to meditate

Million + people come to Bangkok temporarily to work and go back and forth from their towns and this is where they live.  It may not look like much (because it wasn't) but they had some pretty sweet TVs and motorbikes.   
 
We rode through plantations and stopped at the village temple.  This are the graveyard/ the boxes that hold the ashes of the deceased.  Paying homage to their ancestors is very important.

Serendipity smiled on me and I got to see a new monk's initiation ceremony.

I was so thrilled to witness this special  and sacred ceremony.

That evening I let Ben take my two-hour Thai massage.  It only cost $10 and I thought I'd be nice since he'd stayed home with the girls so I could do the bike tour.  He came home and said, "NEVER make me go get a massage again. EVER.  That was the most excruciating two hours of my life.  I had no idea someone who weighs 90 pounds could inflict so much pain."  
Sorry, honey!

Hotel:
We stayed at Sil-Q and loved it.  Great hotel in nice location with fantastic service.

Our driver was named Tiger and he was honest and helpful.  His number is 081-951-9953.  Samara loved riding in a pink taxi.  Excuse the humidity in the lens.

Farewell, Thailand!  We'll be back someday.

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are so diverse in this posting....the sweet girl sleeping, love it and her, the "high" shots, initiation of new monk....what an opportunity to see something so sacred...this was a very special trip. The lovely thing about a blog is revisiting one's memories.

    ReplyDelete