I've hoped for many thing through the years. Many hopes have been realized and some haven't.
My greatest hope and desire at present is that this hole will become
this home by Christmas. Those lovely trees at the back of the lot will stay and our neighbor is a llama named Holly. How fun is that? Originally, the main part of the exterior was going to board and batten but I think we've changed our minds and will go with horizontal siding. We both really like board and batten but the more we look at homes, the more we think it's better used as an accent material rather the the main material. We will have siding shingles as the accent material. I love these and would do a whole home with them if they weren't so expensive. The color will be a slate blue-grey. The windows on the front of the garage won't quite look like the rendering above. We aren't totally sure what we will do there.
What I do know is I should NOT look through magazines. I start planning based on the pictures... then I look at how much, for example, the pictured kitchen costs (70K) and I almost croak. I had no idea cabinets and appliances could be so expensive. I had no idea my taste was so expensive. I've developed a strange obsession with stoves like this one and this one. I'm also enamored with window and ceiling treatments. While my hope that the home will be done by Christmas is (THANKFULLY) realistic, my hope that someone will donate one of those stoves to me or a carpenter/cabinet maker will want to work for free isn't. We are so eager to be in our own place and not live out of suitcases or all sleep in one room. I feel like we've been temporary for years now. Because we were, to some degree, the whole time we were in Singapore and for a good six months before we moved there. It will truly be like Christmas to go through our storage shed. We really have no idea what's in most of those boxes. We definitely won't need presents for the girls because we can just wrap the old toys that have been packed away.
My sister-in-law introduced me to houzz.com. I could spend all day and night on that site. You can save pictures you like into ideabooks. I was gathering pictures for a wish list. The only problem is you can't drag the photos off or save them. However, you can get the html coding for a website so I made a house blog. It's jumbled but I wanted a place to show the contractor, carpenter, etc. ideas in HOPE that some of them will turn into reality. Since several of you have asked about the house, check it out if you are keen.

AHHH! How awesome! It looks like it will be an awesome house! Can't wait to see photos during the process and then, when it's complete! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Have you heard of Pinterest? It's basically a site where you can file all of your favorite images from the internet. I have an acct and I can send you an invite if you want. Here's mine:
http://pinterest.com/lynetteb/
cheryl,
ReplyDeletei'm so excited for you and ben! you have great taste.
probably scary how quickly you have to make decisions to get it built by december...
good luck!
I absolutely, positively LOVE your house plan. And I drool every time I see a house with those siding shingles. It is going to be so gorgeous and I'm so happy for y'all. Heaven knows you deserve it - you have certainly paid your dues.
ReplyDeleteAnd, both of the stoves are great, but that double red one, Ooo La La. Fabulous. Can I come cook in it/on it???
I hope Santa brings the girls the Llama, Llama, Mad at Mama book.....
Wow Cheryl, I'm SO excited for you and I love all your ideas and "house blog". Do use pinterest, it's great to store all you like on the web!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see the finished product! I hope these next few months FLY by for y'all so you can enjoy your beautiful, new home!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting for you guys! Can't wait to see it finished and for you guys to finally feel all settled into your own home.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, looked at your house blog...LOVE IT!!! If I ever build a house again, fortunately (or unfortunately) I could just use all your "expensive" ideas you've posted there. ; )
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you & your house! (: Your kids will also LOVE their new home for Christmas!
ReplyDeleteLove all the trees that you are able to keep...wow the soil looks different from soil in NC!!!!! Such a dream come true. So hope you will be in by Christmas...or a happy New Year! But you have gone many years without a home of your own, so a month or two will be okay....you will probably all sleep in the same bedroom anyway!!!! smile.
ReplyDelete