Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Waffles Hotel

One morning we were planning on a busy day.  Samara had seen something that made her want  pancakes.  She asked whether we could make some, and I told her we'd try to find some prata or waffles somewhere during the day since we'd be out all day and both those pancake varieties are commonly sold here.  We still hadn't found any when we arrived at our last stop of the day, the Raffles Hotel.  It is a  beautiful, very upscale colonial-style hotel dating from 1887 and named after English Singapore founder, Sir Stamford Raffles.  Rooms start at $600/night.
While we were there, Samara kept asking about eating waffles when she'd see an outdoor restaurant or shop.  I didn't think much of it except that she doesn't forget anything and still wanted that for dinner.
(Top Right) She loved decorating the fountains with leaves and rocks.  I am sure they appreciated it and I fully intend to send a bill for the use of my little creative genius' talent. :)

As we left Samara said, "But we can't leave because we didn't get waffles and this is the waffles hotel!"  Too funny!  All this time, when I was saying "Raffles" and she thought I was saying "waffles".  

Thankfully, serendipity graced us and we found a little place that sold crepes right across the street.  These two signs were outside the shop, so I paid my respects.  yummmmmm...Cadbury!!

3 comments:

  1. Your words about the Waffle Hotel give me such a chuckle...only a child can make something so simple be so humorous. When we were at the Waffles Hotel, Howard and I took a sketching class from Loretta Roberts. A very long story, but one of those serendipitous occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that hotel is BEAUTIFUL. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love raffles hotel! that was the first place i took pictures with my dslr, i also went to chijmes by it too and i loved taking pictires by the cathedral! :) great photos and u are sooo cute prego!

    ReplyDelete