Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cousin Jeanne comes to visit

I love my cousin Jeanne!  She's a sister and a best friend all in one fabulous package.  She and her husband Trac came for a visit in May.  Trac went home a week before her and her extra week happened to overlap Ben's being in Sweden for a conference.  We had a wonderful time together and managed to pack every day full of sightseeing and activities, which made for some swollen ankles for me!  Samara has amazing endurance from being dragged all over the world and nothing seemed to wear her out. 

Jeanne and I share a common love for photography, so we made sure we did not miss any photo opportunities.  Samara thought it was hilarious that the flower is taking a picture.  Samara's pretend camera was always out too.  At the zoo, Jeanne and Trac were both snapping away so she was too.  Then she asked, "guys, what are we even taking a picture of?"





A visit to the Chinese Gardens

We've only seen these Aldabra or Galapagos giant tortoises once before at the zoo.  We are usually only there in the mornings, but since we were there all day, we got to feed them in the afternoon.  They were huge.  Males can weigh up to 250kg and females up to 160kg.  This guy was 40 years old and they live to be about 80.  The oldest one lived to be 255 years.  They were so interesting but it did make me a little nervous that toes would get stepped on.

I love having visitors because we always end up finding a new place to see.   We'd never been to Mt Faber, the tallest point in Singapore at a whopping 105 meters above sea level.  We hiked down to these awesome tree-top walkways.  We'd been to those when we first moved here because our temporary apartment was right by there.  It was a great little hike...

...with matching toenails, of course.  Is there any other way to hike?

The arts festival was going on and this was a fire garden they had set up to commence the festival.  It was quite a display.


  During Jeanne's last weekend here we headed to Bintan to cheer on some friends in a triatholon and enjoy the beach--the perfect way to end a fabulous trip.  We miss you cousin Jeanne!!

5 comments:

  1. Cheryl! AH! I think this is the first pregnancy photo I've seen of you! You look great!
    I love reading your blog. It makes me miss Singapore and I am so inspired by your AWESOME photography skills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight I treat myself with catching up with your blogs. Love those red toe nails, now to paint the turtles red also. Actually it was lovely to see a a turtle not covered in oil, like on our shores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm can't close without commenting on the absolutely stunning cloud/palm tree/rainbow shot. I could feel the breezes blowing. It always is in our best interest to "look up."

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss all these posts!? I love them all - but always love your stories and photos! I hope you're doing well - missed you on Sunday - hope you are feeling great and hope to catch up soon!

    On the nest vs rest post - I guess we'll see where I fall out in due course, but my sister said her only nesting instinct was that she cleaned all the windows in the house about a week before she had both her bubs... otherwise she didn't 'nest' at all... maybe computer desk tidying and getting your blogging up to date, is your nesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been lagging on the whole blogging world, but looked at all your pictures and read. It's almost time now, Wow, that went by fast for me!! LOL
    As always love the pics.
    Do you use certain actions on some pictures that you LOVE?? Wanna share?
    I'm always looking for some cool ones.

    ReplyDelete