Hello world, I'm building a house. Soon it will be done and I will be human again. I will actually listen when people talk to me. I will think about and do things other than house-related issues. But I will never be qualified to make another decision again. I've exhausted my decision making abilities for the year. I should not make any other pertinent decisions for at least 6 months. My brain has lost the ability to chose. I think I will write a 12-step program, "how to resume a normal life and recover your marriage after building". I'm hoping I make at least enough money to put in a yard in the spring.
It took us eleven tries to get the right color for the exterior but we are really pleased with the color.
We've lost count for the interior colors. We spent the girls' inheritance or at least Christmas money on paint samples. They are getting scrap wood from the construction and all the failed paint colors. Santa gives gifts like that, right? Samara will get to "craft" to her heart's content. In fact, she even said she wanted a craft birthday party. Perfect. Each kid can take home any color from the Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paint deck. We probably have a quart of the color they want.
Thankfully, we knew we wanted the same trim color as the other homes in the development or we may have had to take out a home equity loan trying to find the right white (by white I mean off-white/ivory/ but not yellow or gray tinged.) I am POSITIVE that many a person has lost their sanity trying to find a true gray. It doesn't exist. Grays are either blue, brown, green. It's so hard to know what a color looks like from a little swatch. Once you have so many colors up, it's impossible to chose and tell the difference. We don't even remember what we put where. Having so many choices cripples you.
This is our neighbor, Holly Llama. There are goats and miniature ponies too. Our human neighbors have already asked us to feed the animal neighbors while they are away for Christmas. Samara could not be more excited! We miss the Singapore zoo and our animal feedings there. Our other neighbor is related to me. Her mother-in-law is my maternal grandfather's cousin. Small world here in UT! We don't go anywhere here without seeing someone we know.
For the record, even though I am complaining/venting, I know we are very fortunate to build a home when interest rates are at a historic low. Everything has not worked out perfectly/exactly how we envisioned it, but we are pleased with how the house is turning out. It's been a quite process, but will be well worth it. If all goes well with painting, flooring, cabinets, and countertops we will have a final inspection on the 22nd and, if we pass, we will move in on the 23rd. Many more pictures to come soon--just to warn you!




I cannot wait to see more pictures! It looks BEAUTIFUL so far!
ReplyDeleteUgh. I remember the endless process of picking paint colors, and we only had the interior to think about. I can't imagine having to make so many choices, yikes! It's looking fabulous though, really lovely. We are so happy for you guys!
ReplyDeleteIt is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree. Its gorgeous. And you guys are awesome. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!!
ReplyDeletethat IS a great color! it matches really nicely with the brick and roof color. all of those samples will be worth it when you see it finished. can't wait to see more! :) good luck!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like the perfect Bikman house. So excited for you guys! Can't wait to see more photos!!!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain, but it really is all worth it! Good luck getting in for Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see it in person!
ReplyDeleteAND...I'd totally buy your 12 step book. On any subject. :)
WOW! Loving it! Can't wait for all the pics! And if you ever wrote a book I'd totally buy it! Your sarcastic humor is just what people need to brighten their ordinary stay at home lives!!!! (Oh wait is that just my life??)
ReplyDeleteHey Cheryl! I've tagged you.
ReplyDeleteIf you want to participate:
http://weighward.blogspot.com/2012/01/friday-favorites-being-tagged-is-fun.html