There are so many things I will miss about Singapore. One of them is seeing Buddhist monks clad in their orange robes all around town. I see them on the street, at stores, on the train, and even at the zoo occasionally. I'm pretty sure I won't be running into any in Provo.
Last Tuesday was Vesak Day. The day is celebrated by Buddhists with great ceremonial ritual and commemorates the birth and enlightenment of Buddha and his entry into Nirvana. Though this is my 3rd Vesak day in Singapore, it was my first time attending any festivities. Thank you Chelsea for having me over for dinner and taking me to it!!
There was a great kids corner with games, which earned you tickets to buy prizes.

The tent was up for several days and all the rituals could be done/seen each day. The actual day itself begins with the Buddha mantra chanting. My brochure said that listening to the chanting is comparable to listening to discourses by Lord Buddha. The chanting bestows blessings and protection. It is a truly a wonderful sound and so peaceful. I've really enjoyed the several times I've been able to hear the chanting.
Bathing Buddha commemorates the birth of Prince Siddhatta.
Lotus grows in the muddy darkness at the bottom of a pond, towards the warmth and light of the sun. Hence, the lotus flower is offered to represent where devotees should turn--towards light and truth.
The devoted Buddhist apply gold leaf to preserve the precious Buddha statues and to extend the lifespan of Buddhism.
The celebration concludes with a candlelight procession through the streets.
The Ten Parami Wishing Wells. Making resolutions is to accomplish the Resolve Parami. "Be diligent in meditation, truthful in speech, the strength of our resolution will increase." I love that!
Since we are on the topic of Buddha. Remember Samara's baby Buddha friends?
Lizzie wasn't too keen about her new playmates. This is how I feel at the moment too! I'm thrilled for the future but so sad to leave Singapore. And I hate packing. And Ben's been gone all week in Ireland. To end on a positive note, I've sold a lot of our furniture. And then I cry over selling cheap Ikea coffee tables.











I LOVE this! You could post the photo of Lizzie amidst the Buddha's everyday & I would still love it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for teaching me more about Vesak day. :)
Singapore will miss you too...soooooo much! :(
gorgeous pictures as always cheryl!
ReplyDeletewe will miss you too!
Cheryl, we will miss you oh SO much. I am glad you are going to a spot where we will be able to catch up with you again someday. We really love your family and are sad to see you go.
ReplyDeleteThat is the best Lizzie picture ever! But I'm sure next week you'll take an even cuter one...and I am so (selfishly) excited for you to come back to Utah! I wish I could be there to help you pack and enjoy Singapore for just a few more weeks!
ReplyDeleteYou must make a card of this photo of Lizzie having a Tizzie Fit with her seated companions.
ReplyDelete