Monday, March 14, 2011

Three going on Thirteen

Samara is four.  FOUR!  That seems so much older to me than three.  
I've been so excited for her birthday because I've had the presents since Christmas.  We brought them back from the states because the "made-in-china" toys here are even more cheaply made but cost twice as much.  Go figure!  It's been hard to keep them a secret for that long.  When Samara's birthday was over, I found myself feeling a bit sad that she was four.  She's growing up so fast.

She wanted a pink elephant cake again and to go bowling for her party.  
Props to my friend, Natalie, who helped make the cake.  I don't have any skills in that department so I really appreciated the help!

One of Mara's best friends happens to have two bowling lanes at her condo so we had a small party there.  It was so fun!  She's decided last May she wanted to have a bowling party after we went for her friend's birthday. 

She got a strike on her first bowl.  With no bumper pads that didn't happen again much to her dismay.

She told me the day after her birthday that she wants to invite all her friends next year like she did when she was three.  I think the whole gift thing is really sinking in with her.  :)

I stole this idea from my friend, Deborah's blog,
Four things I love about her:

1) She's a mini grown-up
Other adults tell me this all the time.  In her mind, I am pretty sure she does think she is a grown-up.

2) She loves her family!
The toppers for the cupcakes and the elephant are made out of marshmallow fondant.  She wanted to get her angel cookie cutter out when we made the elephants.  She made five angels and said,  "This is papa in heaven as an angel, this is Mimo ... , me ... , Lizzie ... , and Little Kicker (the brother she wants) in heaven as an angel.   She is happiest when we are all doing something together.

I usually don't bother correcting a passing stranger who thinks Lizzie is a boy.  Fortunately, I have Samara, who always sets them straight, "She's not a boy!  She's my sister.  Her name is Elizabeth Helen Bikman."  Then she sighs and rolls her eyes.

3) Has a great sense of adventure
Samara is not brave/advanced physically but she very adventurous in other ways.  She gave her first talk in primary a couple weeks ago.  Oh my.  It was adorable.  She did an awesome job.  The other day I went it to tell her quiet time was over and saw this stack of books on her side table.
She told me, "I was just reading grown-up books during quiet time.  I really liked the one about Cambodia (The Gate) with all the pictures of the temples we saw there. Ya, the books were so interested (interesting). "

4) She is very quick-witted and has a great sense of humor!  She has the sweetest giggle too.
After she helped me get ready to get out the door, I asked, "Samara, what would I do without you?" She replied, "Panic."  Her quick responses always keep us laughing.
Her primary teacher told me that he gave out some treats in class.  There were two little bags left after everyone had eaten some.  He asked if anyone's parents would be upset if they had more.  She replied, "My mom would be a little bit upset."  He said, "OK" and tucked them away.  Two minutes later, Samara raised her hand and said, "I said my mom would only be a little bit upset.  Now, can I have the marshmallows?"

10 comments:

  1. I seriously love the bedside book stack. Maybe she and Emily could start exchanging book reports (Emily has been wanting her own set of the Chronicles of Narnia for quite some time now, so I gave her an extra set I had the other day and when I called at lunchtime that day, she couldn't talk long - she was busy writing her name in her books).

    Samara is an absolute hoot. I love the "panic" answer. I can't believe she's 4. And can I just say ADORABLE pictures!!!

    Oh, please, oh, please. Can I just go ahead and adopt all of y'all???

    Happy Happy Birthday Cutie Pie!

    Love,
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, how cute! What a sweetheart. I think she looks so much like you, Cheryl, in that last picture.

    Four years old already...I was actually really sad when Anya turned four last summer. It's too close to school age when I won't get her at home with me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samara is hilarious! I love the stories about her. She is so entertaining to be around...what a GREAT characteristic for someone. "Panic" was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking of the birthday girl having a birthday day before yesterday. *sniff, sniff* She is getting a little too big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Samara!

    My favorite part of her primary talk was the "hello boys and girls" at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, she is so fabulous! I love this little girl and we can't wait to see you guys in June!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Samara! Rebekah has talked about you several times over the past few days and told me that she likes your hair and now wants to cut hers like yours.
    You are so fun and delightful and we can't wait to see you this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl, you have angels straight from heaven. There is no question about that. What little dolls! I love them both, and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing photos of Samara! Great stories too :)

    ReplyDelete