No Maternity Insurance for Locals--We are on a local insurance plan, so that includes us. We knew this moving here. And though it's disappointing, we were happy to take a hit if we were fortunate enough to have another baby. Baby stuff (strollers, clothes, etc) easily costs three to four times what it does in the US. I just read in the paper that last year's birth rate was at record low for Singapore. Hello?! No wonder. Singapore does so many things well and have so many great policies, but let's stop and think about what's contributing to the low birth rate! And some education please about all the methods of birth control may be helpful. I was also reading how it's a problem that women are choosing abortion as a method of birth control over the pill because the pill can really wreak havoc on one's complexion. A nice complexion or an abortion?
Peeing on a Stick--I am grateful we aren't living in some backwards place without modern medical care. But there are some strange things, like not routinely screening for gestational diabetes (except for in us fatty westerners who have HUGE babies) and strep-B. The one thing though that I am so glad I only have to do a few more times is my protein/glusose test. I thought getting the sample into a cup was a challenge with a growing belly but here you do it on a little stick. Then you go back to the waiting room and stand there like a moron smelling the fresh drops of urine covering the stick while you wait for the nurse to come look at it. It feels like an eternity. After she looks at it then you and says, "Ok, normal. Throw away." Then you get to toss it and wash your hands.
Language Barrier and 30% surcharge: I'd hoped to do a VBAC this go around, but little Lizzie is being stubborn and won't move out of the breech position. So, I'm finally accepting that and thinking of the benefits of scheduling the delivery. I got a text yesterday that my doc wasn't going to be in Wednesday, so I called and rescheduled my appointment for Friday. I asked some questions about scheduling the c-section because I wanted to know how it worked to schedule one. I found out it's a 30% surcharge for the doctor, hospital, everything if I schedule it instead of waiting until I go into labor and then just having a c-section. What the hell? Honestly? Is it not more convenient for them? Is it not safer? Makes NO sense. The woman was so hard to understand and just kept saying, "yes, horoscope birth 30% surcharge" Me: "The doctor said I have to schedule it if she's breech. Can you tell me what you mean by horoscope birth?" W: "No, chose birthday means horoscope extra 30%. Maybe you have baby turn. Have natural (meaning not scheduled) birth no surcharge." I get so sick of trying to communicate with people here. English is supposed to be the lingua franca. It's the language they're educated in. They are supposed to speak it well. I'm not being some obnoxious American who thinks they should just speak English because I do. I'm hoping the woman who answered the phone just didn't know what she is talking about.
Confinement: If I had a quarter for every time someone told me how I couldn't go out of my house for a month after the baby was born, drink cold water, or shower I'd have enough to pay for the said surcharge in #3. At first I was polite, even though I think not showering for a month after giving birth is ABSURD! I mean, it was cute that the sweet little old lady who is making the blessing dress said she'd do it quickly so it would be done before the baby was born since I couldn't go out for a month after, but now it's just annoying. I'm tired of being treated like an invalid and told to be careful every step I take!! And some other facts for all you know-it-alls out there: getting sunburned will not harm my baby, swimming will not cause a miscarriage, and painting my toe nails will most definitely not give the baby birthmarks or discolorations!! And do you know what else?! We are thrilled that we will have two girls, so don't pity me for not having a boy when you ask what I am having! And one last thing--my being outside during the lunar eclipse did NOTHING to comprise my baby's health.
People walk soooooooooo slowly--Walking slowly is something that has always grated my nerves, but lately--oh!!!!!!!! Why do I, at 81/2 months pregnant with a toddler in tow, still walk faster than 75% of the population? Seriously people--kick it in gear!!
And now that I have that all off my chest, I feel much better. Soon we will have a beautiful baby here and all of this won't matter. Well, except I'll be scorned when people see me outside during that first month. I wonder if they'll turn me in. I'm off to do my headstand and pelvic exercises. Gotta relax that uterus and help this baby turn!
Oh, yes. I remember those little pee papers. So gross. But, my doctor's office did at least give me a little plastic liner I could slip it in before leaving the bathroom. And, my doctor never screened me for gestational diabetes. Can you believe it?! I definitely thought he would since he was always very thorough, but he said since my blood pressure and urine were always normal he wasn't concerned. Even in the end, when my baby was measuring 7 pounds with 6 weeks to go, he was not the least bit worried. Weird.
ReplyDeleteHere's a few more weird things you have to look forward to:
For a c-section they'll tell you that you can't have any toenail polish on in the "surgical theatre"(also known as the OR.) I had just had my toes done the day before and I refused to remove it. When they asked the anesthesiologist, he couldn't have cared less. I think it's just an old practice that the nurses continue to do.
They'll offer your husband your placenta in something that resembles a doggy-bag. Yum!
They don't bathe your baby for the 1st day and when they finally do, it's not very good. The nurses asked us if we'd like to come "watch bathe baby" and we thought it was going to be them actually bathing Lexie, but it was a short class on how to bathe a baby. Let's just say I could have taught them a thing or two.
Good luck with everything! And, if you want to throw yourself into early labor and save that 30%, I suggest walking around the Botanical Gardens for 3 hours and getting dehydrated. Works like a charm! ;P
oh man, the joys of having a baby in singapore! good luck :) can't wait to see pictures and here about your hospital adventures! miss you!
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised birth control is even an issue over there if women go around NOT TAKING A SHOWER FOR A MONTH!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd the girl vs. boy thing - ah, excuse me. I may have to buy a plane ticket to Singapore just to personally, ah, slap someone. We love our little Jonathan more than life itself, but guess what - if Heather had had a girl instead, we would have loved her more than life itself. (As it was I wondered what in the world we were going to do with a boy!) Of course, I'm not telling you anything you don't know already. I just had to say it.
Oh Cheryl, hang in there! You, out of anyone else I know, can do this!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm so glad you found a place to do your blessing dress. How'd it turn out?
You are hilarious! Oh the joys of Singapore!
ReplyDeleteYikes! I'm sorry things are frustrating there. Thankfully you will have a beautiful baby in your arms VERY soon!!!!
ReplyDeleteHahaha!!! It's always fun to just "go off" on all the maddening quirks about being in Singapore. I've done it many times myself! Good luck and remember, when you do go out with Lizzie, after the locals chastise you for being out....DON'T LET THEM TAKE HER PICTURE!!! : )
ReplyDeleteI just have to chuckle because it sounds so much like another country we lived in.
ReplyDeleteEven with all the junk and bs that's going on right now in this place, I'm still glad to be in the good old US of A.
Good luck!!