Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Perth AUS: Wildlife Park

We went to the Marapana Wildlife park (basically a petting zoo).  There are several in the area and this one was closest to us.  We weren't super impressed by it but the kids loved it and that is all the matters.    This was definitely a more "wild" experience than the zoo.  These animals wanted the food!




The ostriches were crazy.  They really took us by surprise.  They were behind a wired fence but they'd peck at our food buckets very aggressively.  It was hilarious to listen to everyone responding to it on the video we took.   "Look their eyes flash white!  This one is creeping me out.  These things don't seem too bright."

A wombat


The llamas wouldn't leave us alone.  All I couldn't think of was David Spade because he's turned into a llama on that Disney cartoon, The Emperor's New Groove.  Anyway, when I watched the video, Ben said, "They look like a freaky muppet.   Let's get out of here.  I am not entirely comfortable here."  In his defense--they were pretty creepy.

Then I said, "Oh, just let me get a picture of her with the deer."  Samara fell in love with Bambi when we watched it at my mom's over the holidays, so we couldn't miss out on a photo with the deer.


Koalas are lazy buggers and sleep like 20 hours/day.  What a life!  I also read the following, which I didn't know but found interesting: "The brain in the ancestors of the modern koala once filled the whole cranial cavity, but has become drastically reduced in the present species, a degeneration scientists suspect is an adaptation to a diet low in energy.  One of the smallest in marsupials with no more than 0.2% of its body weight, about 40% of the cranial cavity is filled with cerebrospinal fluid, while the brain's two cerebral hemispheres are like "a pair of shrivelled walnut halves on top of the brain stem, in contact neither with each other nor the bones of the skull. It is the only animal on earth with such a strangely reduced brain." 

1 comment:

  1. Ummm...I think that's what happened to my brain after I became a mother!

    ReplyDelete