The "lantern" or "moon festival" is a popular harvest festival celebrated by Chinese people dating back over 3,000 years to moon worship in China's Shang Dynasty. Decorations are up and celebrations go on for a few weeks but the most important day is when the moon is at its fullest, on the fifteenth day of the eight lunar month. That fell on Oct 3rd (Saturday) and there was a big mass lantern walk in Chinatown. The lanterns represent the moon.
We are members of the Science Centre and they sponsored a smaller walk that started at the Chinese Gardens MRT station, which is closer to our house and it was earlier in the evening. It was on Friday but we figured we could still appreciate the moon a day shy of it being at its fullest. They gave out free lanterns that you put a little candle in. Samara LOVED it!
I am sure she (well we all) will be disappointed when we move back home and don't get to celebrate these neat holidays.
The walk went to the science center observatory where you could look at the moon and get a mooncake. We had met up with some friends and we all decided to go on our own little walk to the Chinese Gardens instead. We had been told that there weren't any decorations this year there but when we saw it all lit up we wanted to check it out.
It was beautiful. They normally have big elaborate lantern displays (last year it was hello kitty) so that must be why we were told there weren't any decorations there. The decorations were simple but breathtaking. We love the Chinese and Japanese Gardens (where the turtle museum is). It is always uncrowded, which is a welcome relief living in this sea of people. Chinatown was great too, but I thought this was especially nice and peaceful.
One last tribute to the moon at its almost fullest. In fact, I bet that's even what those Chinese characters say.
You always have the most beautiful pictures! I love the one with all the lanterns next to the pond! Samara is getting so big! She looks like she's had a growth spurt and gotten taller. I heard about the "Well go wake her up.....EMILY......EMILY!!!" which was pretty funny. I also hear she's quite conversational. Made me think of this video my mom just showed me the other day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLbPFLgvz8w
ReplyDeleteJust out of curiosity, about how many festivals do they celebrate in Singapore? The Chinese have such a long history, without much major change, it would be interesting to see how far back some of them go. You have to admit that a festival of the moon sounds a lot cooler than a festival for collards. I'm just sayin' is all. Y'all have fun! Talk to you later!
The pictures are beautiful. I'm so glad that you always put these things up so that I can see them. I love all of the lanterns. The one Samara is holding is so pretty. They have the coolest things over there.
ReplyDeleteI have something I'll be mailing to you guys in the next week or so.
This comment ixvxvbbnbnnb,/fkffffgzgzggjggs from Emily.
ReplyDeletedpopik;kyiyoihetyr;kuwudoptuiakdkkkkjkkckl
kzlkjkkkkjcxjnzzxb
ksss
samhfhjknmmnm,nmnm,mmmmfhkjjckkklkjjzjhjy;ly
yyyytjgfghhghkjjkjzm,kkljyhhyfyuysuyysyyiysaiaayyuu
What a gorgeous celebration!! All of the pictures are absolutely amazing! You have such an amazing talent for taking such awesome pictures!! =0)
ReplyDeleteAw, it looks so beautiful - I wish we'd come along!
ReplyDeleteOK, that looks amazing! (and the moon isn't too bad either! :)) Looks like reading Chinese is second nature to you. :)
ReplyDeleteDitto on the picture taking. It is a talent! Where do you hear about all the cool happenings in Singapore? I would like to do more while we are here living this once in a life time opportunity :)
ReplyDeleteAmazing! Like Sarah I wish we would have known about this! I definetly would have gone! I agree, I think the simple lanterns are better than the hello kitty ones!
ReplyDelete