Kampong Glam is a neighborhood that was once the seat of Malay royalty and has been designated as the Malay-Muslim enclave since the early 1800s. The original "kampong" or village grew into a bustling hub of Muslim commerce as traders and immigrants from Malaysia, Indonesia, India, and the Middle East settled here. The "glam" refers to a variety of eucalyptus that grew in the area. They used the bark of the plants to make boats and the oil for medicinal purposes.
We always grab the free tourist brochures whenever we are at the airport and most of these ethic enclaves have little self-guided walking tours. Perhaps we are nerdy, but Ben and I love doing walking tours. It's a great way to see the interesting architecture and learn some history too. Shop houses are amazingly beautiful to me. If I had to be a building, I'd be a shop house. I really have no clue what I am doing when I take pictures of buildings but hopefully by the time we leave I'll figure it out and maybe even find a way to get up in one to get a different view/ angle. How do I take a picture without the triangle of sky in the corner?


Or get one like this without having to crop it to get just the shophouses? Seriously, photographers out there leave some comments and fill me in.
Bussorah Pedestrian Mall with another view of the mosque. The Sultan Mosque is one of the largest in Singapore, was completed in 1925, and marked as a national monument in 1975. It was a very hot/bright afternoon so we didn't stay too long but we will definitely go back.





I think you're doing pretty well with the camera - what beautiful architecture... And you and Samara look pretty glamorous in the midst of all it!
ReplyDeleteI love the shophouses too!
ReplyDeleteI want to find some local artwork that captures their beauty as a keepsake of our time in Singapore!
And I agree - I think you're doing a pretty good job with your camera and there's nothing wrong with cheating a little - I just discovered Red Eye Reduction and it's become my best friend!
Those are cool buildings!
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are wonderful. What beautiful buildings. I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I read this on the digital photography blog last week.
ReplyDeleteI've got a thing for shop houses too. But my pictures from the week we were there are horrible. Yours look great. I love all the colors. The US definitely needs more color, don't you think?
ReplyDeleteCherd, I think your pics look awesome. . .but, I don't really know anything about photography. Glad you get to see so many beautiful sights. :)
ReplyDeleteLove the pics! If I figure out what you need . . . I'll let you know!
ReplyDelete7-11 looks very pretty there. :)
Forget the pretty pictures of buildings...check out that hot supermodel mom! Your hair really does look terrific. Miss you! George had fun looking at pictures of his girlfriend.
ReplyDeleteAt least three references so far to a dead battery, that's it!!! We need to get you a second battery for your camera!!! Sim Lim Square, here we come!
ReplyDelete