Thursday, June 11, 2009

Samara Stories

I am thankful for headphones.  Here's the explanation...

A lot of men here have freakishly long pinky nails. I'd say 40-50% of them do. We can't figure out why. Some have it long on one hand while others have it long on both. Some even have it on other random fingernails. It doesn't seem to be specific to just one ethnicity. We have only ever associated that with drug use but don't think that is the case here. We tried googling it but haven't come up with anything, so please leave a comment if you know why, as we are dying to know.

Recently, we sat down on the crowded train next to one such fellow with a particularly long and grosteque nail. I didn't notice it until Samara pointed at it and said, "Look at that nail." fake laugh "That's funny, mom. We should polish it." (We had just polished our toenails.) As I bit my lip trying not to laugh, Samara said, "Is that funny?" (she always says that in the silliest voice when she knows I'm trying to be serious with her.) So, I looked up at him and thankfully he was totally oblivious to what she'd said as it was blocked out by the music in his headphones.

Here is a cute conversation with Samara from a few days ago when I told her Daddy wouldn't be home from work for a couple more hours.

S: Mimo, I have a good idea.
M: What's your good idea?
S: To get daddy home. Short pause. Can you sing that song 'bout so glad when daddy comes home?

Does that melt your heart or what? It sure made Ben feel like a million bucks.

Last one: Samara has been interested in potty training again recently. She still drinks way too much water (like 6-7 of those 7 ounce cups day) for when we go out for extended periods of time and won't be near a bathroom. But at home or when we aren't out for long she's been doing well. Anyway, we were at our playground yesterday and she was trying to go down the slide but was sticking and not really sliding but having to push herself with her legs. Then I heard her mutter, "hum, I should have weared a diaper today. These underwears are not slippery."

7 comments:

  1. can i have your child if i say 'please'? pleeeaaassseee? they were all hilarious, but i think my favorites were....well.....all three, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great to catch up with you guys! I am so impressed with all the recent adventures. I will now live vicariously through your blog. In answer to your question, I make my blog collages in the latest version of Picasa (available for free through Google). I haven't printed any of them, but I'm thinking about using a few in my family photo book this year (I use Picaboo). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new additions to the side! The Love Child! You're always bringing a smile to my face! Those are so funny! I'm missing seeing her little personality coming through on a regular basis. We're going to have to Skype again soon. Emily hasn't let me forget that she didn't get to see/talk to Samara the last time we talked to you. But then she'll say, "I DID get to talk to Mrs. Cheryl. One day, we can go to Samara's & Mrs. Cheryl's house (sorry Ben...). We'll have to get on a plane. But we can go." I love all the pictures on the side. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious!!!!!! Gosh, she is getting so big, I can't believe how smart she is! Does she call you "mimo" then?? That is so cute!!! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll have to try the diaper on the slide thing. Just kidding. That is so funny that she noticed the speed difference though. She is one smart cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Supposedly (from what my friend told me, she's asian ) when people wear there pinky fingernail(s) or any other finger(s) long its supposed to symbolize that they do not work and are not slaves. It's apparently an old tradition. I'm not sure though I could be entirely wrong.

    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em, She does call me Mimo and I love it. She used to call Ben, Ben and it drove him crazy but now he's been able to get her to call him Papa.

    Suzanne, That's awesome! Thanks for letting me know. That makes sense. Someone else told us it was to scratch their head. weird. We are so excited for you to get here.

    ReplyDelete