Friday, May 8, 2009

"I am from Russian"

The past few weeks a woman and her son have been visiting from Russia.  They come here and to China to get medical treatment for Sasha.  They are LDS and have been here before so we were put in touch with them by other members of the ward who got to know them the last time they were here.   We've really missed Russia since coming here so it was such a treat to be able to speak Russian again and get to know them.  Sasha is such a sweet little guy and quite a miracle. He got a staph infection as a newborn and was pronounced clinically dead several times.  He wasn't supposed to come out of the coma and certainly was never expected to function on any level.  He is making great progress.  Tanya, like so many Russian women, is very resilient and faces challenges and difficulties without asking "why me?" or feeling bad for herself.  Tanya wanted to keep busy and see as much as possible while Sasha wasn't at doctors' appointments so we had a fabulous time going all around Singapore together.  Apparently, we told people often about them and that they were Russian or from Russia because Samara said to someone the other day, "nice to meet you, I am from Russian".




Bonsai Garden.  You can see how thrilled Samara is to be in the picture.  Tanya loved taking pictures every where we went.  She put me and the stereotype of a camera-happy Japanese tourist to shame.
 


We visited the turtle museum again.  We went there when April and George were visiting and Samara has been asking to go back ever since.  This place boasts the world's largest collection of turtles and holds the Guinness Book of World Records for it.

We feel it is important to build a child's self esteem and boy does Samara ever feel good when she is up against a turtle.  She wins every time.

I had no idea turtles could be so freaky.  This is only one of the many bizarre turtle species they had there.


5 comments:

  1. I like your "winter" background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the dressed up blog! Did you take the picture at the top? You're so talented. And so funny! I love how you put things. Those are some freaky turtles. Kind of gross looking, like someone took their head & stretched their necks out. What a neat looking place though. We love hearing about all of the places you visit over there. "I am from Russian"-that's hilarious! Glad you're getting to use your language again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I did take it. It has taken me so long to get around to figuring out the blogger and I still don't really know what I am doing.

    The turtles are so weird. I haven't had my camera either time we've gone so I'll have to make sure and take it the next time. There were several really bizarre ones and I think they scared Samara at first so I had to pretend they weren't weird looking so she wouldn't be afraid of them but there was some with pig noses that made me shutter--they had the kind of face only a mother turtle could love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they are from Russian! A Japanese student in the ESL program at BYU told my dad, (who was the head of the ESL department a few years ago but now he's retired) "I'm very boring in this conversation" instead of saying, "This conversation is very boring!" Our family uses this expression all the time now. The funny things other people say stick with us and become part of our jargon forever!

    Why do you speak Russian? Did you live there? Serve a mission there? Do you remember Tricia Burton? She served in the Russia, Samara mission. Did you name your daughter after the city?

    I'm going to stop interrogating you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did serve my mission in Samara and that's how she got her name. Ben actually served there too but got home about 6 months before I left and that is when we first met. My time overlapped with Tricia's too. We never served in the same area but got to see each other several times. I served in a couple areas with her husband and totally remember when he proposed to her at our reunion. He pulled me aside and told me he was going to do it and showed me the ring and felt a little bad it wasn't more of a romantic proposal but it was really cute and sweet. They are a great couple.

    ReplyDelete