We have been back in the states for a month. It's been a long jet-lagged and exhausting month. I just got on to make a post/update and saw these photos in my drafts so thought I'd post them. Packing up and getting rid of most our stuff was not an easy task, but we did it. We must love the feeling of living out of suitcases because we decided to build a house, which means we won't be settled and unpacked for a while. We hope to close and start building in a couple of weeks. I have a ton of photos to go through from our last couple months in Singapore. Now that Elizabeth sleeps more than once in a fortnight, I have some time and hope to catch up on everything eventually.
We had a month to consolidate, get rid of, and pack up our stuff. It was hectic. The girls were a tremendous help. We built forts, dog houses, packed, un-packed, and re-packed. Samara promoted herself to foreman of our packing team and had an opinion on what should be packed where and when. Lizzie, though young, is an expert at unpacking everything. She left me wondering how much paper an infant can safely consume. And I'm pleased to say that Samara and I survived the month with a mother-daughter relationship still intact!
We are adjusting to life in the states. We wonder where all the people are, marvel at how cold it gets (we sleep with space heaters), and are amazed at how cheap things are and how easy it is to communicate with people. My sister is generously letting us stay with them so we are back in the basement where married life for us began. Lizzie spent the first two weeks screaming like mad for the entire duration of any and every car ride. But I am very happy to report that she does awesome in her car seat now. Samara is loving the lack of attention and manhandling from strangers. She also started pre-school at BYU and loves it. She begs to go every day and tells people that her dad got a job at BYU because she goes to school there. Ben is busy getting his lab up and running and putting together the curriculum for his course. I love the beautiful mountains, but am still mourning the loss of adventure, culture and travel. There is so much we will miss about Singapore, but it is nice to be "home".





Awww! I love these photos! It makes me want to build a fort!
ReplyDeleteSo cute that Samara is telling people that basically she got her dad a job at BYU.
I had no idea they had a pre-school. Will that make it easier to get into college there someday since she has already attended BYU? ;)
packing and unpacking--the worst part of moving--EVER! so glad to hear you guys are settling a bit and enjoying utah. when you get a chance, i wanna see pictures of your house! where in utah are you building?
ReplyDeleteYou're back--wow! And in Utah county! We should meet up and take the kids to the BYU duck pond sometime. Yes, the adventure is gone but the fun doesn't have to be :)
ReplyDeleteI feel stressed out for you just reading about the packing/unpacking with two little "helpers" around. I'm glad you guys are in UT and I hope we will get to see more of each other. I hope the crib works out ok.
ReplyDeleteYou don't know how glad I am just to know that you're state-side again (even though it will be a while before I'll ever get to see you).
ReplyDeleteOf course that's why Ben got the job! You guys didn't realize that?! She is soooo funny.
Glad Lizzie is getting adjusted to the unknown. I didn't even think about the transition from public transportation to a car seat.
Yay, you guys are back in the States!! Hope the adjustment goes smoothly for y'all!! Love the pics too!! Can't wait to see more!!!!! =0)
ReplyDeleteTents are the best invention. How about give the girlies a squeeze from GG.
ReplyDeleteBlogger hasn't let me comment in a long time (still won't on others' blogs). Welcome back to the states! I bet it's quite the adjustment. Congrats on building a house! That's awesome! And of course Ben's job. I'm so happy for y'all. We love BYU. If it's too cold, though you can always come back here. No space heaters in NC. :)
ReplyDeleteCheryl, so glad you are all settling in kinda sorta. Hope the house building process goes great for you! You will be missed in Singapore when we all get back :(
ReplyDeleteAh, so wonderful to catch your posting...these photos you shared you are going to cherish more and more as time moves forward! They are precious and so IN THE MOMENT! I can't imagine doing all that you did in one month, I could feel the pressure just looking at the pictures. I didn't know you were building a home...good for you. It will be your 'dream' home that you have graciously gone without for a long time. I hope it goes very smoothly. Where are you building? I sent a long letter a few weeks ago...do not expect an answer, just hope you received it, want to know that things are going well. I imagine the photography is taking a back seat for awhile...but soon those mountains are going to call your name loud and clear and you, your family and camera will go for a photographic hike!!!
ReplyDelete