I desperately miss my computer. With no computer, I can't upload photos and am going through withdrawal. It's part of our family. Samara even thinks of it as a sibling...not in a good way though. So, here is an unusual post with no photos. It is WONDERFUL being back home in the states. Ben is already back in Singapore. Samara and I head back in a week. I am really looking forward to spending 27 hours on planes and in airports. It's an ideal way to spend a day. :) We are truly grateful for our time in Singapore and the unique opportunities it presents, but life here is just 100% more convenient. Besides being with our families and friends, (and we wish we could see all of you!!), I have to share some things I like...no LOVE...about the good ol' U S of A.
A CAR--What a nation where even welfare recipients can afford a nice ride! I love love love love love love love having a car. I am not exaggerating when I say that I can get done in a morning, maybe a day at the most, what it takes me a whole bloody week to do in Singapore. If it weren't entirely inappropriate, I'd be at the pulpit next fast Sunday talking about the truthfulness of motor vehicles!
On to the next thing that makes it so much more convenient--the shopping. There isn't much one-stop shopping in Singapore so I have been loving visiting Target, Costco, and *gasp* even Wal-mart. The grocery aisles are so WIDE and luxurious. I went Christmas shopping at Target right after getting here and wondered where all the people were, almost fainted when I saw how incredibly CHEAP stuff is, and was shocked when people moved their carts out of my way so I could get past. They even said things like 'excuse me.' INCREDIBLE!!! There are fewer people in the mall here at the peak times then there are at our mall first thing in the morning. Who knew grocery shopping could be something I enjoyed and not something that gave me ulcers and that I put off until we had nothing in the house but rice?! We are taking back a total 4 check-in boxes of food--that's 200 pounds of food stuff and other supplies. Stuff is seriously so cheap--$3.24 for a huge block of CHEESE--INCREDIBLE! I don't agree with everything the US does but I can really get behind subsidizing dairy. Here are some of the other shockers (US price vs Singapore price): sunscreen $7 vs. $25, refried beans $.79 vs $3.50, Ben and Jerry's $2.53 vs. $13.00, quart of organic yogurt $3.24 vs. $15.00, cold cereal $1.60 (on sale) vs. $7.50, chewing gum $.25 vs. a trip to the customs office for confiscation. I won't even start on kid's clothes and toys. But...seriously...$9.00 full-price for a darling dress at Target?! You have to pay $50 for some cruddy character shoes in Singapore.
Samara has been LOVING the lack of attention from strangers. Now she has the occasional admirer but they don't touch her. In general, no one gives a darn about us and that, my friends, is awesome squared. We are one of a very small group of Caucasians in our neighborhood. I now have much more empathy for those in the minority. I don't mind being the minority except that we get stared at endlessly and Samara gets mauled anytime we go out. What part of my child turning her head and saying, "I don't like that" (when they rub her cheeks) don't they understand?! In fact, that makes them all the more enamored! She's had so much fun getting to know grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and new friends. And we can't complain that we have free babysitters when we need them vs. paying $65 for one just so we can go to a movie.
I know Winter isn't everyone's favorite season and I totally understand that if you don't ski or enjoy other winter sports it isn't the funnest. Singapore is hot, hot, hot, and even more humid so it's been nice to be cold vs. sweaty for a change. Admittedly, it was challenging to adapt to the dry air here; Samara refers to Singapore as "that humid place." Cute ski posts to come!
We are loving all the familiar FOOD. Mexican food in abundance, glorious chicken with no tendons, skin, or other chewy things to ruin an appetite, real salads in all their glory, and healthy options that would cost an arm and leg in Singapore.
Last but not least, being around people who think similarly and can make an exception to a rule is lovely! When I ask, for example, to have my soda replaced with a shake it's not out of the ordinary. When I try something like that in Singapore I get looked at like I just called the person's mother a four-letter word. Once I asked for a shake with half vanilla and half chocolate and, honestly, the fellow would have been less surprised had I asked his sexual-orientation. In Hong Kong, I had a 15 minute argument with a gal at a sandwich shop because I wanted a plain cheese sandwich for Samara. She couldn't do it. Couldn't comprehend it because the sandwich on the menu had other stuff on it too. After explaining 93 times that I'd pay full-price and I simply wanted her to leave the other stuff off, I left cheese-less wanting to strangle the woman. Our education may be lacking here but at least we think in more than one parameter.
oh man i totally understand what you mean. i LOVE being back home in the US. i loved the convenience of a car and having target right down the road. I head back to singapore this sunday for 2 weeks! i'll be there for work but i am sure i will see you on sunday (feb. 7th)! have fun in the US!
ReplyDeleteI guess nothing makes us truly appreciate what we have more than the lack of those things!
ReplyDeleteOh, Cheryl. I couldn't decide whether I should laugh after reading this post, or cry... But I'm so glad you're enjoying your trip. Good luck on the plane! We'll see you soon.
ReplyDeleteFunny what things you miss that you always took for granted. Still, it makes me want to live overseas for at least a little while.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds all too much like life in good old mother Russia. The simple things in life. It really is. It's just another world and different rules. I bet everyone that lives here in the US think we are absolulety crazy about some of the "things" that we do as well. It's all about perspective isn't it?
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up! I hope you get a package from us today or tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the flight. I hope the little cutie is cooperative and that everything is uneventful.
Too funny! From one who has lived in another country, all I have to say is AMEN.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, when I went to Walmart for the first time after returning to the states I just about cried. The choices! The carts! The hours of operation! Food was wasn't expired!
Great post. America does have issues, but unless you've lived out of the USA, you just don't know how great our country is.
Cheryl- Great post! :) I can really relate! I *hated* wal-mart when I lived in the US and when I was back last summer I actually had to pause and take a moment (nearly teary eyed) just past the doorway. My sister was with me and she was soooooo confused! She asked me why I stopped and I told her I was just savoring the moment. Then she paused with me and when we started walking again she said, "I'm so puzzled because you don't even like wal-mart?!?!" I just laughed and said, "I do now!" :)
ReplyDeleteI could go on and on...don't even get me started on Mexican food! ;)
So fun to see you when you were in town. Samara is a DOLL. Who would have thought that you'd have such a little chatterbox for a daughter? She is such a smartie. And as much as I love Walmart, I like to remember that it's people in Asia who are working for a dollar a day who make it possible for people like us to buy a full price dress for $9.00. Gotta love that globalization. Hope that your trip back is safe and can't wait to see you again soon.
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT CHERYL!!! You said everything that I've been trying to tell others here at home for the past 6 months! So glad I experienced life in Asia but now that I'm home, I don't think I could ever go back! It was so great to see you again.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you went to Wal-Mart! Too funny. Also, I don't think I can ever take my children to Asia because I (and they) freak out when strangers touch them. I don't know how you do it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing all the differences between Singapore and the US. It's very interesting. Glad you got to spend so much time here and with family. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas. You're a champ when it comes to flying too. I'm going to think of you when I fly with the kids to CA this summer. I need to have a better attitude like you do because it's only 10 hours including travel time to the airport. You're awesome!
ReplyDelete