One of the nice things about being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the social network. Before we even hit the ground we knew we had a group of people we could turn to. In fact, before we arrived we’d been able to correspond with several families who gave us great advice. The members of our ward (church group) were friendly from the first day we were at church and they have plenty of activities (far more than we’re used to) and the congregation is one of the biggest we’ve been in since we were married. Moreover, the primary & nursery(the classes for children) is huge—they have over 100 kids in it!
As many members of the church know, the Mormon world is small. Within only a couple weeks of being at church we’d made a handful of “connections”. We met a family who was in a ward with one of Ben’s sisters, a cousin of my sister’s best-friend, and a family who is good friends with our friends (if you followed all that). The ward we are in is an ex-pat ward. They automatically put you in it if you are from another country and will be living here short-term. It’s been really fun to meet people from all over the world. We do really miss everyone from our Greenville ward, though!!
The person we bought our bed from is from Greenville, SC. When I went over to look at it she asked where we moved from and I said, "North Carolina". Then she said they'd moved from SC and I asked, "which city?" She said Greenville and I said, "Oh, we moved from Greenville too." I had my ECU shirt on the other day and met another person from Greenville, SC. It is a small world!
No comments:
Post a Comment